Glass jars (and lots of them) are a huge staple in any green home.
I pretty much collect them…or hoard them (in a non-mental illness sort of way.)
Pickle jars, jam jars, aioli jars, mason jars – you name it. Every size jar, whether big or small, skinny or wide, is saved to be reused.
They take up shelves and shelves in my kitchen! They are just waiting to be upcycled and repurposed whenever a need or an idea strikes me.
Glass v. Plastic
I think most of us are pretty aware that plastic can toxic and harmful. Not only can it alter our hormones and leech dangerous chemicals in our food – it is also a straight up death sentence for wildlife and ocean animals. Recycling plastic is pretty questionable…especially since most of it ends up in landfills despite the best efforts of recycling-advocates.
All of these reasons are why I purchase items in glass jars rather than plastic.
Here is just one more reason – glass jars can be saved and reused! Which is frugal, fun, and eco-friendly.
Saving the planet + more bang for your buck + upcycling into awesome stuff = GLASS JARS 4EVER. Or something like that.
Reusing Glass Jars In the Kitchen
- Use jars as storage for leftovers, instead of using plastic bags or plastic containers. (For example, I never use the entire can of tomato paste at once, and storing it in a small glass jar in the fridge keeps it fresh until it gets used up.)
- Store spices in smaller jars, or bulk spices in large jars.
- Use them to hold homemade goods – like homemade nut butter, hummus, salad dressings, applesauce, etc.
- Turn old glass milk bottles into fun, vintage drinkware
Glass Jar Crafts & Activities
- Make some festive Turkey Leaf Lanterns for autumn and Thanksgiving
- Create a fun Halloween Mummy Luminary
- Craft an adorable fuzzy Mason Jar Santa for Christmas!
- Make a beautiful winter wonderland snow globe for the holidays
- Fill up bird’s bellies with Mason Jar Bird Feeders
- Create a cute indoor Mason Jar Garden with your little one
- Express thankfulness and spark happiness by introducing a gratitude jar into your home
Upcycling Glass Jars into Decor
- Create a beautiful Gold Mason Jar Vase for your flowers
- …or a whimsical Rainbow Mason Jar Flower Vase
- Repurpose smaller glass jars into candle votives
- Make a lovely Stained Glass Tissue Paper Jar Candle Holder
Repurposing Glass Jars for Storage & Organization
- Place tall or wide glass jars on your desk to hold pens and pencils, paper clips, or other office supplies
- Mason jars can easily be turned into toothbrush holders.
- Put your face oil or homemade moisturizer into a small glass jar, like a baby food jar, and keep on your bathroom sink. If you use hemp oil that cannot be left out at room temperature for more than a week or so, like I do, putting a little in a jar prevents you from having to run back and forth to the fridge.
- Recycled jars come in handy for all sorts of other DIY concoctions, like homemade deodorant, Muscle Rub and Sleep Cream, or Coffee Coconut Oil Brown Sugar Scrub!
- Upcycle all different sizes of glass jars into pet treat containers.
- Turn mason jars into banks for loose change – like these way cool Superhero Banks!